5 REASONS TO ADD NINH BINH TO YOUR TRAVEL WISHLIST
1. Trang An ComplexTrang An is a scenic area near Ninh Bình, Vietnam renowned for its boat cave tours. On 23 June 2014, at the 38th session of the World Heritage Committee in Doha, the Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex includes Hoa Lu, Tam Coc-Bich Dong, and Bai Dinh Pagoda. Situated near the southern margin of the Red River Delta, the Trang An Landscape Complex is a spectacular landscape of limestone karst peaks permeated with valleys, many of them partly submerged and surrounded by steep, almost vertical cliffs. Take a boat to go around Trang An, see the green river, mountains, natural sightseeing. Therefore Trang An is a must see destination when you visit Ninh Binh.
2. Enjoying special foods in Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh goat meat: Goats here are raised on limestone mountains freely run and climb in this mountainous area, grazing wild grass on hills so that goat meat is shrunk, little fat, delicious and in herbal flavour. Ninh Binh’s goat meat taste better than other regions because two reasons: many lime stone mountains which are suitable for raising goats; in order to have a good rare goat meat dish, local people have to perform many steps from the processing procedure to the mixture procedure. If you have chance to visit this area, take a menu and you will see long list of strange and unique dishes, each of which has its own unforgettable flavour. This kind of goat meat is prepared in many attractive ways such as: rare goat meat mixed with lemon, stir-fried goat meat, lemon grass and coconut goat, steam goat meat, grilled goat brisket, goat hotpot, goat gruel and roasted goat, etc. Among the dishes made from goat meat, the rare-goat meat can be considered the most delicious one.
Rice crust ( Com chay): The second famous food in Ninh Binh is rice crust. It is a natural and simple dish but very yummy and attractive. To make this food, it requires a good cooking skills. To make good dish, we also need experience in choosing ingredients, especially rice. Rice to make this dish is glutinous rice named “ Huong” which has pure and round grains helping the dish get extra flavor. Com Chay should be supported heat by charcoal and during cooking ,we keep suitable heat to create burned rice with equal thickness around the bottom of the deep pot . It is one of the most difficult step in cooking. After that, burned rice is put out to dry in the sun several times and preserved in fresh places to avoid mouldy state and keep its flavor. After drying, slices of steamed rice are fried in hot oil pan until they turn yellow and crisp. Together with main ingredient, steamed rice, are beef, pig’s heart or kidney, some vegetables like mushroom, tomato, carrot and spices such as fish sauce (nuoc mam), pepper, red chili, onion, salt. Beef and pig’s heart or kidney are thinly sliced, marinated with such spices and mixed with vegetables . Then the mixture is fried until fragrant and put into Com Chay bowl.
Kim Son rice wine in Ninh Binh is one of 10 famous rice wines in Vietnam. It is made from sticky rice, Chinese medicine barm and made with secret way of locals in Kim Son. Kim Son rice wine has good smell, and unique flavor. It is usually mixed with some animals such as star fish, gecko, boucal, etc, it’s good for your health.
Futhermore Ninh Binh is also famous for other special foods such as Gia Vien shrimp sauce,, To Nhu rice noodles soup with roll meat, soya noodles with eels, steamed sticky rice with ant eggs, etc.
Almost of goat meat restaurants is located in Hoa Lu such as Hoang Giang restaurant, Thanh Long restaurant, Chinh Thu restaurant, Pho Nui restaurant, etc which are good restaurants for goat meat dishes.
3. Ninh Binh traditional festivalsStep into the bustling atmosphere of the new year, Ninh Binh province to immersed in the unique traditional festivals and impressive. Visiting Ninh Binh one day and enjoy the unique essence of festival in this potential region. The land is the former capital which attracts many tourists to visit by beautiful scenery and many excellent rich of tourism festival.
Bai Dinh pagoda festival: celebrated annually on the 6th of January of the lunar calendar ( Tet festival time ) in Sinh Duoc village, Gia Sinh commune, Gia Vien district. Like as other festivals, this one comprises two parts: worshiping and entertaining. The worshiping includes the purification and commemoration of heroic martyrs. The entertaining activities take about 3 days, including playing chess, wrestling and more.
Thai Vi temple festival in Hoa Lu ancient capital: celebrated from 14th to 16th March of lunar calendar to commemorate the dedication of kings in Tran dynasty.
Truong Yen festival: celebrated from 10th to 13rd March of lunar calendar to commemorate the dedication of Dinh Tien Hoang King and Le Dai Hanh King. Its name was Trang An festival in 2016.
Duc Thanh Nguyen temple festival: celebrated from 12nd to 14th September of lunar calendar in Gia Thang, Gia Vien district to commemorate the dedication of Nguyen Minh Khong who is a hero in Ly dynasty.
4. Exploring beautiful destinations in Ninh BinhNinh Binh is a tourism potential province with a lot of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Travel to Ninh Binh, you won’t forget the beautiful scenery here. Ninh Binh is located in Red River Delta. In 10th century, it’s a capital of Vietnam, there is 1500 kind of heritages. Vietnam is developing Ninh Binh to become a tourism province, a national tourism centre.
Some tourist attractions in Ninh Binh are Hoa Lu ancient capital, Trang An, Tam Coc – Bich Dong, Phat Diem stone cathedral, Cuc Phuong National Park or Van Long Natural Reserve, etc. Now another landscapes have just explored recently by travelers:
Thung Nham Bird Park is located in Hoa Lu District, 12km south of Ninh Binh City (100km from Hanoi), deeply in the mountains and far from residential area. The 350ha park has been developed for tourism but still retains its natural beauty. For those who love the nature and adventurous bird watching trip, Thung Nham (Birds valley) in Ninh Binh is somewhat best place for your experience while travel to Ninh Binh. Besides watching birds, you can also explore the caves on the water and in the mountains as well as visit orchard of tropical fruits, including star fruit, mangoes, guavas and lychees.
Thien Ha cave is the new destination for tours in Vietnam. It is located in the hillside of the Tuong Mountain rang with the height of nearly 200m. To reach this cave, tourists in Vietnam travel have to be on bamboo boat to float over a small canal among the paddy fields for 1km before coming to the land and reach the cave. It is 700m long with two area: 200m dry cave, 500m water cave. They are connected by a large corridor. The dry cave is 2,5 – 3m large, 3 – 6m high with plenty of beautiful stalactites, leading to the southern side of the mountain. The foundation of the cave is 40m large. The natural light from the top, which opens the eyes of people with the stalactites colors. Under the natural hand, there are many shapes and figures of stalactites which inspire the curiosity of the visitors. Visiting to the water grotto, travelers would float on the underneath river which is named Galaxy which appears with curling line under thousands of sparkling stalactites which suddenly on the right above curl of the cave ceiling. There are also many stalactites under various shapes, which need to be named. In the peaceful place, visitors would feel the sound of the oar striking clearly, the sound of water drop and thousands of bats inside the grotto.
Thach Bich - Thung Nang: These places still keep their pristine beauty. Taking a boat to enjoy th green river, mountains and magical caves.
5. There is a lot of resorts in Ninh Binh to relaxNinh Binh is far from Hanoi about 90 km so it’s a good destination for tourists to relax after busy life. Visiting Ninh Binh, tourists not only enjoy the beautiful scenery here but also find a place to relax.
Luxury resorts: Emeralda Ninh Binh Resort, Cuc Phuong resort & Spa
Emeralda Ninh Binh Resort: Located on the edge of the Van Long natural reserve which is a primeval tropical forest. Styled with traditional Vietnamese elements in architecture and furnishings, wedded to cutting edge enhancements and guest comforts. The resort was built using natural materials to leave as little impact as possible on the environment.
Cuc Phuong Resort & Spa: Located far from Cuc Phuong national park about 3 km. It includes entertainment area, hot springs area and the area to stay. It’s a good place for relaxing and get closer to nature.