Hanoi, Vietnam’s capital and center of civilization for thousands of years, is the cradle of good cultural values and centuries-old craft villages. Tourists coming to Hanoi can have the opportunity to visit many beautiful craft villages, such as Bat Trang pottery village and Ha Dong silk village, not just witnessing the city’s timeless architectural works.
Along with the aforementioned craft villages, there should not miss Quang Phu Cau, an Incense Village that upholds the traditional craft of incense making for more than 100 years.
- Top 21 Incredible Day Trips from Hanoi
- 20+ Best Things to Do in Hanoi Old Quarter
- What to do at night in Hanoi
- 32 Amazing Things to do in Hanoi
- Best Hanoi Itinerary from 1 Day to 10 Days
Where is the incense village of Quang Phu Cau?
About 35 kilometers from the center of Hanoi, the village is situated in Quang Phu Cau commune, Ung Hoa district. Quang Phu Cau has been known for making traditional incense sticks for the past over a century.
How to get to Quang Phu Cau incense village
Quang Phu Cau incense village is not too far from the center of Hanoi, so visitors can easily come here by car, motorbike or bus.
- By motorbikes or cars: From the center of Hanoi, go straight along National Highway 21B, Provincial Road 429 to Quang Phu Cau.
- By bus: go to Yen Nghia bus station, then take bus No.91.
- By Cat Linh – Ha Dong overhead railway: Drop down at the last stop near Yen Nghia bus station, then take bus No.91
What to expect in Quang Phu Cau?
- A visit to Quang Phu Cau incense village will bring visitors an opportunity to learn about the traditional craft of making incense sticks and take lots of unique check-in photos. Right after you enter the incense village, you’ll be able to see the busy lives of the locals here.
- The village is filled with bundles of red incense sticks that look like enormous flowers under the sunlight. Incense is dried in a variety of large areas, including the yards of houses or community houses, and vacant lots, which brings an impressive sight for visitors.
- Once you step foot in the village, it is easy to see a lot of large incense bundles with one end tied together and the others spreading out like blooming flowers. The lucky colors of the East, yellow and red, are present in the incense of Quang Phu Cau village, which makes the incense very beautiful and vibrant. As a result, Quang Phu Cau has long been the shooting source of choice for both domestic and international photographers. In particular, numerous photos taken here have won prestigious awards.
- It is due to its distinctive charm that Quang Phu Cau Incense Village has become a traditional craft village attracting both local and international tourists to visit when arriving in Hanoi. Visitors coming here will have the chance to stroll around the village to view many large “flowers” and take a lot of amazing photos.
- Quang Phu Cau incense village has gained attention from the international press owing to its unique beauty and centuries-old incense-making practice. In particular, the French news agency AFP published on the incense village in 2019 and this helped to show friends overseas the beauty of the Vietnamese traditional craft village.
- And if you still have time, let’s drop by some long-stand incense production facilities here, where you can observe the entire process of how to make incense sticks by skilled locals.
>>> You may like to Explore More:
>>> Explore other day trips from Hanoi:
Experience of visiting the incense village
- To get the best shots, visit Quang Phu Cau incense village in the summer or on sunny days when the strong yellow sunlight will highlight the red incense bundles.
- Before taking any pictures of the locals’ yards, be sure to get their permission.
- Buy a few small incense bundles to support the community’s ongoing craft practice.
- To stand out in a photo with red incense, wear clothing in hues that contrast with it, such as white, yellow, and blue.
- There are brightly colored incense “flowers” everywhere along the road leading to the village. You can take check-in photos with them, but doing so will cost you 100,000 VND per person. In addition, if you want the incense bundles rearranged into the forms you wish, you should tip the locals here as it is a fairly difficult task.
Suggestion Itinerary to Quang Phu Cau Incense Village
- Tour duration: Half Day Tour
- Hotel pick up available
- Tour Type: Private
- Cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- 8:00am – 08.15am: Our driver will come to pick up at your hotel in Hanoi
- 09.20am – 09.50am: Arriving in Quang Phu Cau Incense Village. The farmers have already set out incense to dry in various formations at this time, and we will take pictures of local peoples who are working among this sea of colours.
- 11:00am: We continute go into the village factory, to see and explore the incense-making process, including bamboo chopping, dipping the sticks in dye, and the creation of incense paste. We will have more change to take pictures of the local farmers who have worked on producing incense in this village thought many generations
- Enjoy the lunch with Vietnamese Foods at Local restaurant.
- Relax and get on private Car for returning to Ha Noi. Arrive Hanoi and Drop Off at your hotel. Trip finish!
- Private car
- All Entrance Fee Tickets
- Mineral Water during your trip
>>> Haven’t decided yet? GET FREE CUSTOMIZED ITINERARY <<<