If you are only planning a brief trip to Hanoi Itinerary 5 Days is a reasonable amount of time, which is neither too long not too short, to explore the well-known tourist attractions here.
So what can we do on a five-day stay in such a 1000-year-old capital? As a local who was born and raised in Hanoi, I can provide you with some suggestions on how to create the finest 5-day itinerary, including where to go and what to do in the capital.
Let’s take out some of the best Hanoi Itineraries in 5 days and 4 nights to find the answer for the aforementioned question
Table of Contents
- 1 Brief Itinerary – Hanoi Itinerary 5 Days
- 2 What to do in Hanoi for 5 Days Itinerary
- 2.1 Option 1: Hanoi Itinerary 5 days with 2 Destinations
- 2.2 Hanoi – Halong Bay – Hanoi
- 2.3 Hanoi – Sapa – Hanoi
- 3 Option 2: Hanoi Itinerary 5 days with 3 Destinations
- 3.1 Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Sapa – Hanoi
- 3.2 Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Halong – Hanoi
Brief Itinerary – Hanoi Itinerary 5 Days
For more itineraries, check out:
- 2 Days in Hanoi
- How to spend 3 Days in Hanoi?
- What To Do in Hanoi in 4 Days?
- Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days
- Hanoi 7 Days Itinerary
Option 1: Hanoi 5 Days 4 Nights Relaxing Itinerary for sightseeing lovers
- Day 1 : Hanoi arrival, overnight in Hanoi
- Day 2 : Hanoi – Halong bay, overnight on cruise
- Day 3 : Halong bay – Hanoi, overnight in Hanoi
- Day 4 : Ninh Binh full day trip, overnight in Hanoi
- Day 5 : Hanoi departure
Why is this itinerary right for you
- A trip to Hanoi will allow you to leave the weariness of modern life behind and explore fresh things in a foreign country.
- This trip includes interesting outdoor activities as well as an outstanding 24-hour Halong Bay Cruise.
- Visitors can take advantage of the local convenient transportation options to save time and effort while having access to new experiences and discoveries.
- You will get the chance to explore Hanoi, Halong Bay, and Ninh Binh on a 5-day trip. It will include 2 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Halong Bay (overnight stay on boat) and 1 day in Ninh Binh.
- As a result, visitors will have the opportunity to stroll through the vibrant capital, partake in beach activities, and gaze at the stunning limestone mountain scenery.
- Everyone can enjoy a 5-day Hanoi itinerary, whether you are traveling with a company, family, or alone.
Option 2: Hanoi 5 days / 4 nights itinerary for city lovers
- Day 1 : Hanoi arrival, overnight in Hanoi
- Day 2 : Hanoi city tour, overnight in Hanoi
- Day 3 : Hanoi – Halong bay, overnight on cruise
- Day 4 : Halong bay – Hanoi, overnight in Hanoi
- Day 5 : Hanoi departure
>>> Explore Halong Bay Overnigt on Cruise <<<
On the second day, you can take a group city tour or a private tour to see some attractions such as Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the Temple of Literature, the One-pillar pagoda, the Old Quarter and more.
Then, you can go to the Bat Trang pottery village in the outskirts of Hanoi. It will be a great place to pick up some traditional ceramic items as souvenirs.
Additionally, there are more options for you to participate in such as kayaking, squid fishing, swimming, and overnight cruises at HaLong Bay, one of the natural wonders of the world.
Option 3: Hanoi 5 days adventure package for hiking lovers
- Day 1: Hanoi arrival – Train/Bus to Sapa
- Day 2: Sapa – Cat Cat Village
- Day 3: Y Linh Ho – Lao Chai – Ta Van – Back to Hanoi
- Day 4: Halong Bay Day Trip
- Day 5: Hanoi Departure
Why is this itinerary right for you
- This trip will begin with a tour of the quaint streets of Hanoi, continue to the majestic mountains of Halong Bay, and end in the hilly region of Sa Pa.
- Here, you can have memorable experiences as a local when using the train or a sleeper bus and even being able to take part in easy to moderately difficult trekking activities.
- Even though the trip is short, it still enables you to take in the splendor of HaLong Bay or Sapa’s luscious golden rice terraces.
Option 4: Hanoi 5 Days Classic Itinerary
- Day 1: Hanoi arrival
- Day 2: Halong Bay Cruise Day Trip
- Day 3: Hoa Lu Tam Coc Mua Cave Tour
- Day 4: Hanoi City Tour
- Day 5: Hanoi Departure
>>> You might like to BOOK DELUXE HALONG BAY DAY TRIP 6 HOURS CRUISE
Why is this itinerary right for you
- This short day trip to Northern Vietnam will be the explorations of Hanoi, Ninh Binh and Ha Long
- It offers you fun activities like kayaking, biking, climbing, and more.
- During the trip, you also will have the opportunity to meet new friends and explore new lands. It’s time to refresh your daily routine and immerse yourself in the poetic natural surroundings!
- With a round-trip from Hanoi, more time will be available for you to explore Hanoi with its colorful lifestyle as well as rich culture and history.
What to do in Hanoi for 5 Days Itinerary
Option 1: Hanoi Itinerary 5 days with 2 Destinations
Hanoi – Halong Bay – Hanoi
Day 1: Hanoi Old Quarter
- After tourists arrive at Noi Bai airport, it takes about 45 minutes from the airport to Hanoi Old Quarter. Most tourists choose to stay overnight in the Old Quarter because it is near most famous tourist attractions.
- Tourists can go for a stroll around the Old Quarter to visit some places such as Hoan Kiem Lake, Ngoc Son Temple, Dong Xuan Market – Traditional Market in Hanoi, Long Bien Bridge, and enjoy a cup of traditional coffee.
- Hanoi Old Quarter is known as a place to retain ancient culture and memories of the times, making many tourists visit this place once in a lifetime. Through many ups and downs, the ancient streets still stand to this day.
In The Evening – Hanoi Nightlife
- After a long and exhausting day of visiting this beautiful city, visitors may take in Hanoi’s vibrant nightlife. So what activities are available in Hanoi at night?
- Nighttime is the only time of day when you may enjoy Hanoi without becoming sunburned or worn out from traveling there.
- The streets are bustling and crowded with foreigners and locals with whom you can make friends along the way and get to know Hanoi from the perspective of real Hanoians.
Day 2: Ho Chi Minh Complex – Hoa Lo Prison – Temple of Literature – Water Puppet Show
The second day in Hanoi will be the perfect time to take a Hanoi City Tour, and be sure to watch an amazing water puppet show at Thang Long Theater right on the edge of Hoan Kiem Lake
- Ho Chi Minh Complex: Visit inside Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, a must-visit attraction in Hanoi. If you have more time, watch the flag-lowering ceremony at Ba Dinh Square, which takes place at 6 a.m. daily.
- Ba Dinh Square – one of the attractions in the Ho Chi Minh complex, is a square in Hanoi, where President Ho Chi Minh read the Declaration of Independence of Democratic Vietnam.
- Visit Uncle Ho’s stilt house: This modest traditional stilt house where President Ho Chi Minh lived continuously from 1958 to 1969 is located in a well-maintained garden, adjacent to a pond full of carp and has been preserved in the same way as when he was alive.
- Ho Chi Minh Museum is one of the sites in the Ho Chi Minh Complex. Tourists can visit the museum and learn knowledge about people and life of President Ho Chi Minh – the greatest person in Vietnamese history
- Hoa Lo prison: This is a large prison complex built by the French in 1896. Hoa Lo prison nowadays is all that remains of the former Hoa Lo Prison, ironically nicknamed ‘Hanoi Hilton’ by American prisoners of war during the American War.
Address: 1 Hoa Lo Street, Tran Hung Dao, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
Opening hours: from 08:00 until 17:00; Close from lunch, 11:30 until 13:30. Daily including Tet and national events
Entrance Fee: Adult: 30.000 VND for Vietnamese and foreigners, Disabled people, the elderly ( > 60 age): 15.000 VND, Children under the age of 15: Free
- Check the regulations and bring the essential things as to the Ho Chi Minh Complex
- The first place opens at 8:00, so you better get there on time or earlier
- Queuing is a normal scene here because there are so many tourists
- City tours should be booked as soon as possible because this tour is usually full.
In the evening
- Take a street food tour or cooking class
Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam is the convergence of all the most quintessential and delicious dishes. Just take a walk around Hanoi Old Quarter and you will find a lot of unique and delicious street food stalls
- Bun Cha (Rice Noodles with grilled pork)
Would you like to try the food that Former US President Barack Obama tasted during his visit to Hanoi? Don’t miss the specialty – Bun Cha!
Bun cha is served with tasty grilled pork, a plate of rice noodles and herbs dipped with sweet and sour dipping sauce.
- Banh mi (Hanoi bread)
It has become popular all over the world in recent years. A small bread contains many different fillings inside such as liver pate, grilled meat, herbs, sliced cucumber, creating a unique flavor which you should not miss trying when coming to Ha Noi
- Egg coffee
This drink is a combination of egg yolk, Vietnamese coffee powder, condensed milk and cheese. These ingredients may sound strange for a coffee-related beverage but don’t worry, it doesn’t have an unpleasant or heavy taste but offers a surprisingly light and sweet vanilla flavor.
==> Let’s take a Hanoi Street Food Tour now to extensively experience the most famous and unique dishes and enjoy a special egg coffee cup with a local guide, which might be one of the most memorable things about your trip.
Day 3: Hanoi – Halong Bay Day 1 – Sung Sot Cave – Titov Island
- If you want to go far from Hanoi to discover more of the beautiful Vietnam, Halong Bay is surely a recommendation for you. It will take about 2 to 3 hours from Hanoi to Halong Bay by car, depending on the type of itinerary and day trip you plan to make.
- And as far as our experience goes, you should spend 2 days in HaLong Bay to fully enjoy this beautiful landscape instead of just taking a 1-day tour there. If you do not have enough time to visit HaLong in 2 days, a cruise with 6 or 7 hours on the bay will be a good alternative.
Your itinerary will be as below:
- Departing from Hanoi early in the morning, tourists will arrive at Halong Bay around lunch time, and board the Halong cruise.
- Have lunch on the cruise while passing through many beautiful islands of HaLong Visit
- Sung Sot Cave: Located on Bo Hon Island is one of the largest and most beautiful caves of Halong Bay. The path to the cave is covered with trees and foliage and wonderful paved blocks. The ceiling of the cave is about 30 meters high and the walls are almost perfectly smooth as if it was man-made with various magical colors
- Right in the center of Halong Bay, Titop Island is considered as one of the most beautiful islands in the bay that attracts numerous tourists yearly, even though its area is relatively small.
- Titop Island offers spectacular views from a vantage point high in the center of the island.
- Additionally, tourists can find accommodation at any of the upscale resorts, hotels, restaurants and bars built here.
- Stay overnight on a cruise in Halong Bay.
- Prices vary depending on the criteria such as the itinerary type or the number of travelers in group
- If tourists have less time visiting Halong Bay, let’s check out our 3-day Hanoi Itinerary!
- Choose a trustworthy Halong Bay Travel Agent to book a great tour!
Day 4: Halong Bay Day 2 – Luon Cave – Hanoi.
- The fourth day should be also spent on Halong Bay. It may vary according to the itinerary you choose, but generally, a brief itinerary would include:
- Wake up and do Tai Chi exercise on the deck or watch the beautiful sunrise
- Visit Luon Cave: is located on Bo Hon Island, in the south of Halong Bay, and only 1 km from Sung Sot Cave. This cave is an open-air cave and can only be visited by boat.
- Take part in some water sports and activities such as kayaking, swimming, scuba diving…
Day 5: Back to Hanoi
- For your last day of Hanoi Itinerary, we recommend you have a day free to have time to pack your luggage and get ready for your next flight.
- But if you still have plenty of time before departure time and want to explore more, you can visit the following places:
- Vietnam Museum of Ethnology is one of biggest museum in Hanoi, is home to display and keep cultural artifacts of 54 officially-recognized ethnic groups in Vietnam.
- Van Phuc Silk Village – Located in Van Phuc ward, Ha Dong district, more than 10 km from the center of Hanoi, Van Phuc Silk Village is one of the most famous and oldest silk weaving villages in Vietnam.
- Bat Trang ceramic village is a long-standing village, about 13 kilometers from the city center. It is famous throughout Vietnam for its beautiful ceramics and unique style of ceramics called Bat Trang Ceramics.
Hanoi – Sapa – Hanoi
This itinerary will head to Sa Pa instead of visiting Halong Bay to be able to learn about the cultural diversity of ethnic minorities. Sa Pa is well-known as an appealing tourist attraction with rice terraces and majestic Fansipan mountain. However, in Sa Pa, you will have to do a lot of trekking and this is more suitable for young people and those with a strong soul of adventure. If you just want to relax and admire the beautiful landscape, Halong bay is the better choice.
Day 1: Explore Hanoi Old Quarter and Hanoi Nightlife
- Explore the Old Quarter or the French Quarter
- Drink Bia Hoi and experience the nightlife in Ta Hien Street
Day 2: Hanoi City Tour and Night Train to SaPa
- Visit Thang Long Imperial Citadel and Museum of Ethnology
- Take a night train to Sapa
>>> Book Now Hanoi City Tour All Included with most Famous Historic & Sightseeing Places
Day 3: Hike through Sapa forest
- Walk to Cat Cat and Sin Chai villages where the H’mong people live
- Enjoy fresh air and the beautiful and green scenery of mountains
- Wear comfortable sport shoes for a gentle walk
Day 4: Visit the villages in Sapa and return to Hanoi
- Visit Y Linh Ho and Muong Hoa Valley
- Socialize with the people of Lao Chai village.
- Visit Ta Van village settled by the Dzay ethnic minority people
- Take night train to Hanoi
Day 5: Spend the remaining time in Hanoi and departure
- Visit the Temple of Literature or enjoy Hanoi Cuisine with a local guide
>>> Haven’t decided yet? Get FREE ITINERARY <<<
Option 2: Hanoi Itinerary 5 days with 3 Destinations
Let’s see what to do for these 5 days?
Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Sapa – Hanoi
- Budget: From 200 US$/pax
- Overview: A trip to Northern Vietnam will be unforgettable if you can visit the main attractions which offer you breathtaking and poetic sceneries. The 5-day Hanoi itinerary below will help you discover the true beauties bestowed by the nature
Day 1: Museum of Ethnology – Hanoi Old Quarter – Water puppet show – Cyclo Ride
- Learn more about Vietnam’s 54 ethnic minorities
- Relax and get insight of the Hanoi streets by cyclo
Day 2: Visit the Hoa Lu Ancient Capital
- Take in the beauty of majestic limestone mountains
- Take the night train to Sapa
Day 3: Lao Cai – Mong Sen – Ta Phin
- Visit Mong Sen to enjoy the beauty of rice fields and countryside
- Explore Ta Phin village
- Visit the church in the center town
- Shopping at the night market
>>> Or more exploration in Things to do in Sapa
Day 4: Cat Cat Village – Heaven gate – Back to Hanoi
- Wake up and have breakfast in Sapa Town.
- Go to Cat Cat village which is located near Sapa town.
- Meet the Hmong and learn about their special customs and traditions.
- Noon time: Return to Sapa for lunch. Explore Sapa market and buy some souvenirs.
- 14:30: Get on the bus back to Hanoi. 19:30: Return to the hotel in Hanoi and relax in the evening, or have dinner around the Old Quarter.
Day 5: Shopping in Hanoi before leaving from the city
- Take a customized tour of your own to visit places you haven’t been.
- Or shop to pick up some nice souvenirs for your friends and family
Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Halong – Hanoi
- Budget: From 235 US$/pax
- Overview: Hanoi itinerary in 5 days and 4 nights will include visits to the two world landscapes of Vietnam recognized by UNESCO: Trang An Complex (Ninh Binh) and Halong Bay. Here, you will have the opportunity to visit the must-visit destinations of Northern Vietnam as well as truly discover the beauty of the capital from the past to now
Day 1: Arrive in Hanoi – Visit Hanoi Old Quarter – Enjoy nightlife
- Take a street food tour to explore the Old Quarter
- Enjoy the nightlife in Hanoi
- Visit some places such as the French Quarter, the Opera House, St. Joseph’s Cathedral is also a good choice
Day 2: Hanoi – Hoa Lu – Tam Coc – Hanoi
- Visit Hoa Lu, the first capital of Vietnam
- Cycling along the rice fields
- Ride on a boat along Ngo Dong River
- Take a cyclo tour in Hanoi
Day 3: Hanoi – Halong Bay
(Hon Gai Harbor – Bai Tu Long Bay – Cong Do Island – Cap La Island – Tra San)
- Have lunch on the cruise when moving to Bai Tu Long Bay
- Kayak in Cap La Island
- Go squid fishing at night
Day 4: Cong Do Island – Hon Gai Harbor – Hanoi
- Visiting Thien Canh Son Cave
- Join a Vietnamese cooking class on the cruise
Day 5: Departure to Hanoi
- Visit other main attractions in Hanoi
- Leave Hanoi
- If your departure time is at midnight or later, don’t hesitate to visit Bat Trang Ceramic Village and take a pottery workshop. It will take an afternoon if you go by bus or private car.
To explore 3 destinations in a longer time, let’s check out 6-day Hanoi Itinerary and 7-day Hanoi Itinerary!
Above are all suggestions for the Hanoi itinerary in 5 days and 4 nights. Follow your favorite itineraries or GET YOUR OWN PLAN to discover Hanoi to the fullest!