Why should you choose Tam Coc Ninh Binh is one of your top destinations in the north of Viet Nam? Because you should know one thing that this wonderful landscape never makes you disappointed with the scenic beauty is complemented by it’s pristine nature
Table of Contents
Tam Coc Ninh Binh short introduction
Tam Coc or Tam Coc river, Tam Coc cave is considered as the most attractive tourist destination in Ninh Binh, known for its famous name like “Halong bay on land” and is a part of the Trang An scenic landscape complex, the World Heritage site (UNESCO). It is located in Ninh Binh province, near the Tam Coc village
Tam Coc is a combination of two distinct attractions: Tam Coc, a flooded cave karst system and Bich Dong, a series of mountain pagodas.
Here below are details for 2 attractions in Tam Coc Ninh Binh
Tam Coc boat tour
Starting your day by exploring limestone caves during a boat tour on Tam Coc river is one of the most unforgettable experiences for you.
In Tam Coc people arrange and manage all boats very well. There are about 1500 boats lying on the Ngo river at Tam Coc wharf. The boats belong to about 1500 households with different numbers. Therefore each month each house hold just takes at least 1 tour or 2 tours.
In Tam Coc boat tour you’ll be over whelmed by the natural mountainous terrain in various shapes and the limestone caves lying on the Ngo river crossing peacefully.
Besides the marvelous scenery of the limestone karsts, this is a chance for you to enjoy interesting services and activities through Tam Coc village by learning about the idyllic life in Ninh Binh, admiring yellow and green fields of each season…it will be a great experience for your holiday.
In May or June bright-yellow Tam Coc rice fields are spreading on both sides of the river
Within an hour on the boat, local boat riders will orderly take you to visit three Tam Coc caves: Hang Ca (the first grotto), Hang Hai (the second grotto) and Hang Ba (the third grotto), finally passing a floating market if you want to buy something, local women normally attempt to sell embroidered goods to passengers.
The first grotto: 127 m in length and the width of entrance is 20 m, Hang Ca is crossing under a big mountain.
Entering the grotto you can feel a very cool and fresher weather and see many stalactitescreating different images
The second grotto: Away from Hang Ca about 1 km, 60 m in length. Inside the grotto, there are some weird stalactites
The third grotto: Near Hang Hai, 5m in length. The height is shorter than the other grottos
To take a view of all caves in Tam Coc with a beautiful sightseeing tour it takes you about 2-3 hours
Note that you shouldn’t join in this boat tour at noon or in the early afternoon due to high temperatures in summer. Be sure to bring your umbrella, sunglass and hat in case of the hot weather
Sightseeing ticket: 150.000 VND /adult and 120.000 VND/children
Rowing boat fee: 150.000d /boat (for 2 people)
- Read More : Travel guideline in Tam Coc Ninh Binh. To know Best Things To Do in Tam Coc you shouldn’t miss and The Best Way to get there from Hanoi
Bich Dong pagoda in Ninh Binh
After the end of the tour on Tam Coc river, it’s time for you to visit Bich Dong Pagoda, a series of atmospheric caves filled with ancient shrines.
The pagoda surrounded by many limestone mountains was very ancient and famous. It is about 2 km far from Tam Coc wharf.
There are three destinations: the lower, middle and upper pagoda are main ways to visit Bich Dong pagoda in ascending order.
Going upstairs to explore the historical points or you can also take a boat riding around Bich Dong, it will take an additional 3 hours.
Entrance ticket: Free
How to get to Tam Coc – Bich Dong pagoda
From Ninh Binh
- It is easy to catch a taxi in Ninh Binh or Tam Coc. The price will depend on your departing point and the type of taxi you catch. But the average price is not higher than 15,000 VND/km
- If you are in Tam Coc, the recommended transportation for you to go to Bich Dong pagoda is the bike. The bike rental is easy in your accommodation. If not, you should ask at a few hotels. If you are a little bit further, you can take the motorbike rental for about 150,000 VND per day. Nothing is greater than making a few stops along the stunning road from Tam Coc to Bich Dong pagoda to see the beautiful views of the great mountains and rice fields.
- If you are not familiar with the Vietnamese road, you can book an organized tour to explore the Bich Dong pagoda. However, there is no tour that takes you to this pagoda only. At the moment, all tours will take you to more attractions besides Bich Dong pagoda.
Tam Coc Bich Dong is about 90km far from Hanoi centre.
- If you depart from Hanoi, heading on the high way 1A you can move to Ninh Binh City. Then continue a distance of 25km further you’ll see Tam Coc Bich Dong. You can use a local bus to reach Tam Coc or by taxi, car or motorbike.
- Alternatively, there is Ninh Binh Railway Station in Ninh Binh province if you want to take the train from Hanoi or anywhere in Vietnam.
Here are some suggestions for you about transportation to Ninh Binh from Hanoi. Read here
For other activities in Tam Coc Ninh Binh, you can also try other boat tours and some activities as below:
Other boat tours:
Boat tours from Van Lam wharf, Thach Bich, Thung Nang, ThungNham – bird gardens, Dong Thien Ha ( galaxy cave)..
Destinations on land
Hiking and biking around Bich Dong mountain and pagoda, discover Tien cave, Mua cave, learn the culture of Co Vien Lau ancient house…
For the beautiful and famous Tam Coc nature in Ninh Binh, Viet Nam we highly recommend you spend some days free in Ha Noi to get out and explore Tam Coc Ninh Binh !