Imagine how it would be with sitting on a wooden boat in Viet Nam? In a far-off time it’s familiar to anyone when reminiscing about dreamy and romantic boatmen on the river, the boats appearing in some annual festivals, the boat carrying a man’s singing voice…
And the Tam Coc boat tour in Ninh Binh everyday riding tourists on Ngo Dong river ( Ngô Đồng ) looks extremely interestingly and peacefully
To visit Ninh Binh, you have read a lot of information about what to do, where to visit especially how to visit some places, finally you’ve found a Tam Coc boat tour is a must-do thing in Ninh Binh.
Are you curious about Tam Coc boat ride in Ninh Binh? I’ll show you more information about the trip
Tam Coc Boat Ride Ninh Binh – Overview
Located not far from Hanoi only 90km, Ninh Binh province is an ideal off-the-beaten track in Viet Nam.
It’s is known as an ancient land of Viet Nam with unspoiled nature formed by majestic karst mountains.
Besides, there is a large ecosystem offering various flora and fauna… All these things you can find them when visiting Hoa Lu – to learn about history of Ninh Binh, listen to Vietnamese legends, Tam Coc – Trang An to see marvelous sceneries, temples, grottos,..or Cuc Phuong national park to trekking adventurously. They are the most popular tourist places
And now, i am sure the first thing you must know and it is not quite strange to anyone is Tam Coc boat ride in Ninh Binh. If you want to experience Tam Coc you have to board a wooden boat by local people, so:
You might want to visit some attractions near Tam Coc:
- Thai Vi Temple Ninh Binh
- Bich Dong Pagoda
- Mua Cave – The Vietnamese “Great Wall of China
- Van Lam Embroidery Village
- Thung Nham Bird Garden in Ninh Binh
- Trang An Landscape Complex – Ninh Binh
- Bai Dinh Pagoda and Significant Records in Ninh Binh Viet Nam
Why should you choose to travel by Tam Coc Boat Tour?
- Explore Boat Trip by local people who have skill of sailing with their great feet
Boat Tour of Tam Coc – Bich Dong (Ninh Binh) is not only famous for destinations like “ Ha Long Bay on Land ” but also for great experiences of riding a boat by foot, which makes tourists very excited
Recently, the Insider newspaper has just posted a video about boatmen of Ninh Hai commune who are using their foot to make the boats move smoothly on Ngo Dong river with up to a million of viewers.
The result is that a large amount of domestic and foreign travellers come to Ninh Binh province for experiencing.
Each household of Ninh Hai has one boatman and work in the tourism area. So riding the boat only by hand will surely be handworn; therefore, the idea of rowing by foot appeared.
According to the beat of the feet, they gentlely control two oars and take toursits through golden rice fields planted alongside Ngo Dong river.
By the way, may you want to have a look at:
- Trang An Boat Ride – A Spectacular Boat Ride Must Do in Ninh Binh
- Ninh Binh Boat Tour: Should visit Ecotourism Trang An Boat Ride or Tam Coc Boat Ride?
A man is rowing boat ride at tam coc – Hanoi Explore Travel
- Enjoy the most beautiful scenery in Ninh Binh
Tam Coc is known for wonderful views with the surrounding limestone mountains. The two banks of the river were full of fields of local people.
At the halfway of this boat trips, you will have an opportunity to admire the peak of Mua cave from a different point of view. During this tour, you will relax and feel serenity of this place.
What To See in Tam Coc whilst sitting on your rowing boat
To explore Tam Coc, the only way is using boats. To visit Tam Coc, tourists get on the boat from the wharf. The boatmen will take you through the cliffs and rice fields on Ngo Dong river. The rice fields can be changed according to the rice season ( green rice, yellow and golden rice season)
Tam Coc means three caves , which consisting of Ca, Hai and Ba caves. Three caves are formed by Ngo Dong river that runs through the mountains. You are going to spend around 2 hours on boat trip.
Here are Tam Coc Boat Tour Routes:
- As the boat whisks you away onto mesmerizing sceneries of the blue sky, pure current of water, imposing karst mountains…you will actually see that the view of Tam Coc – Ninh Binh is enchanting to feel every relaxing moments
- During the trip, local people follow a ready-planned route for tourists to see a system of three caves including Hang Ca (Hang Cả) which is called the first grotto measures 127m, the second grotto is Hang Hai, it is far from Hang Ca 1km, with the length of 60m; Hang Ba, the third grotto is near Hang Hai, 50m in length. The system of three caves in Tam Coc has many shining stalactites hanging down, they are all strange-looking shapes this is a gift from nature
- See the atmosphere of a floating market where local people sell a variety of food, snacks and drinks on boat
- It seems to be interesting for visitors to watch the local people row their own boats with legs. According to local people, this unique way helps to reduce the pressure on the back and arm
When To See Tam Coc Rice Fields – Best time to take Tam Coc Boat Ride
- Tam Coc is beautiful in all seasons and has a unique beauty on every season. If you would like to enjoy the charm of green rice paddy fields on a river, the period of January and February after Lunal New Year of Vietnam will be the reasonable time. It will bring tourists a sense of comfort and admiration of the taste of the sky, the river and nature
- If you want to observe the magnificent picture of the Mother of Nature dotted with yellow rice paddy fields, green forests and floating boats along the rivers at the end of May and early July. This is a appropriate time to explore beauty of Tam Coc
- From the end of May to July (harvest season) this time, the rice fields which are ripe in bright yellow attract many visitors
” Vietnamese farmers look so radiant in the harvest season along with their boats full of fruits lightly passing on the Ngô Đồng river “
Travel Tips and Price of Tam Coc Boat Tours
Here are some tourist information helps you when you travel by yourself
Tam Coc boat tour price: You can buy tickets from Van Lam port at main gate. Maximum 2 Persons on a Boat
- Adults: 200,000 VND per person in total for the tour
- Children: 100,000 VND per child: from 1 metter to 1.4 metter. Child under 1 meter will be free
Tam Coc boat ride time : It takes you about 1.5 – 2 hours to visit all the caves ( 3 Caves : Hang Ca – Ca Cave, Hang Hai – Second Cave, Hang Ba – Third Cave
- If you take a boat tour at noon, don’t forget to bring your hat as well as a bottle of water, sunglasses, wear sunscreen if you want.
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- During the boat trip, if you would like to stop for taking photos, ask the paddling local before.
- If you stand up immediately without asking, you can make danger for yourself and people on the boat.
- In Summer, it often rains heavily so you should bring along an umbrella, a hat, raincot.
- Early morning and late afternoon on weekdays is a appropriate time to visit without disturbance of the crowd.
How To Get To Tam Coc Boat Ride
If you are staying in Tam Coc, then getting to the lake should only take you a few minutes. However, if you are based in any other city in Vietnam, I recommend one of the following alternatives:
- From Ha Noi, take a train at Hanoi Station or bus to Ninh Binh at Giat Bat Station
- From Cat Ba, Ha Long you take a shuttle bus directly to Ninh Binh in 5 hours
You might want to check out:
- Is Tam Coc Ninh Binh Easy To Travel by your own?
- Hanoi Tam Coc Tour
- The Ninh Binh’s Road Map for Tourist Travel by Motorbike
- How to Travel from Hanoi to Ninh Binh by Bus?
All transportation can be arranged if you contact some travel agencies to buy tickets.
- From the Southern of Vietnam (Dong Hoi, Hue, Da Nang, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City…) there are also plenty of buses or train to choose from. However, keep in mind that these buses will leave you in Ninh Binh city. You will have to take a taxi from there to Tam Coc.
- From Ninh Binh City to Tam Coc the distance is about 7km so you need to take to taxi in 20 minutes. (Taxi fare around 12,000 VND per kilometer). Or You can rent a motorbike for a full day at your hotel, homestay.. daily rate rental motorbike in ninh binh is roundly 100.000VND
How To Spend 1 Day with Tam Coc Boat Tours
The most popular itinerary including Tam Coc boat ride to have a tremendous chance to explore stunning scenery in Tam Coc. If you have 1 day to visit Ninh Binh and you are also interested in joining in a boat day trip, this tour is for you:
The package 1 day trip in Ninh Binh offers you interesting places in Tam Coc – Ninh Binh area
Hoa Lu Ancient Capital – Tam Coc – Mua Cave Tour – All in One
- A perfect combination of a tour for a day.
You will visit 3 most famous places, explore history and culture of Hoa Lu Ancient capital – the oldest and first capital of Vietnam, experience the feeling of sitting on a bamboo boat along river, go through 3 caves of Tam Coc, Hiking to the peak’s mountain of Mua cave with 500 stairs where there is a great panoramic view to Ninh Binh city and take great photos.
>>> Explore Hoa Lu Tam Coc Mua Cave Small Group Tour with maximum 15 Person, transfer by Limousine Car, Reasonable Price, All Included
>>> BOOK NOW to GET 20% SALE OFF <<<
Hoa Lu Ancient Capital – Tam Coc in 1 Day Trip
Hoa Lu – Tam Coc gives you the chance to visit two well-know places of Ninh Binh. The first one is Hoa Lu Ancient Capital where it left a range of ancient architectures, pagodas and other historical heritages…
Visiting Hoa Lu you will have a chance to explore the ancient temples worshiping the Kings of Vietnam. Then relax in natural scenery in Tam Coc by bamboo boat on river, explore a beautiful picture combined with natural beauty and rural countryside on bicycle
>>> Explore and Book Hoa Lu Tam Coc Day Trip with us to Get 20% Sale Off
Tam Coc – Bich Dong Pagoda ( Full Day)
At about 8 a.m, depart from Hanoi to Ninh Binh and arrive at Hoa Lu ancient capital to visit the temples of King Dinh and King Le. Here to take in the surroundings while strolling, followed by a lunch stop at a restaurant.
Remember to sample regional specialties like goat meat and crispy rice!
After taking a rest, move to the next attractions – Mua Cave and Tam Coc Bich Dong. These two places are sufficient for the afternoon visit before wrapping up the 1-day trip and returning to Hanoi.
Rower is using his foot to control the boat ride
>>> Interested In Other Ninh Binh Tours From 1 To 4 Days? Click To See All The Reasonable Itinerary!
Hope you have tranquil, peaceful moments floating on poetic, a calming river in Tam Coc Boat Ride. Do not hesitate contact to Hanoi Explore Travel Team to get more tips, useful information for having a great Tam Coc boat tours in Ninh Binh !
Frequently Asked Questions
We are here for you! If you have any questions about this cruise, please don’t hesitate to contact us 24/7 and we will get back to you latest within 2 hours! Got a question about this tour? Reach out to our travel experts.
Tam Coc is open: Sun – Sat 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM
We recommend booking Tam Coc Boat Ride ahead of time to secure your spot. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. See all 307 Tam Coc tours on our webiste
Hotels near Tam Coc:
- Tam Coc Mountain Lake Homestay
- Tam Coc Westlake Homestay
- Lys Homestay
- Tam Coc Friendly Homestay
- Tam Coc Holiday Hotel
Restaurants near Tam Coc:
- Dao Phuket Bar
- Family Restaurant
- Chu’s House Tam Coc
- Hoa Luan Restaurant Hostel
- Linh Chi Craft Beer Pub