Tam Coc literally means three grottos located in Ninh Hai Commune, Hoa Lu District, Ninh Binh Province. Once upon a time this place was full up with flapping sea waves, passing many centuries the waves eroded into the cliffs created different shapes of karst landscapes. The only way to visit Tam Coc by waterway which normally takes about 3 hours.
Far from Hanoi about 100 km, Tam Coc is known as the ‘Ha Long Bay on land’ is a great destination for your holiday in north of Viet Nam. In Tam Coc Ninh Binh you’ve got the perfect recipe for calm and impressed on this beautiful countryside.
Here below are some tips for you to arrange your trip to Tam Coc Ninh Binh
Table of Contents
- 1 Best time to visit Tam Coc – When to visit Tam Coc
- 2 How to get to Tam Coc Ninh Binh
- 3 Travel guideline in Tam Coc Ninh Binh
Best time to visit Tam Coc – When to visit Tam Coc
In all seasons in one year you totally can plan your time to explore Caves and Ngo Dong river. But the prettiest period of time is in the spring from January to April in Viet Nam, this time will be preferred because of the comfortable weather and fresh air.
Another best time to visit is from May to July when all rice fields are in harvest season. The beauty of Tam Coc now looks like a young lady’s long, soft, bright and yellow hair. The other is the harvest time of wet rice ranging from September to October.
Besides enjoying the view full of the yellow color of ripe rice fields in Tam Coc Bich Dong Complex, tourists can also seek a chance to watch the fabulous forest of lotus in here.
It can be said that lotus and waterlily are omnipresent in every part of Ninh Binh, especially in Tam Coc Grotto. Floating along the stream to Tam Coc Grotto, tourists seem to turn back the significant history of Le Dynasty.
Best time to visit Tam Coc – Bich Dong to watch lotus is June, in which the perfume of lotus flowers pervades the surrounding air. For lovers of flower, it’s the best time to enjoy the flavor of lotus and involve in the natural beauty of this mountainous regions.
How to get to Tam Coc Ninh Binh
Generally visitors will come to Ninh Binh from Hanoi or Ha Long city so I will suggest some ways to go to Ninh Binh as below:
From Hanoi city to Ninh Binh – 2 Hours
By Shuttle bus
It gets easier for you to buy a bus ticket from Travel Agency in Hanoi or get one from your hotel. If you just use the shuttle bus to transfer to Ninh Binh then spending 1 day or few days you can buy 1 way tick or 2 ways tickets. In case you book a day trip Hoa Lu Tam Coc Mua Cave Tour the price includes transportation
By Local bus
Some visitors are interested in experiencing as a local to save their cost for transportation a bit. So it is possible for you to catch a bus from Ha Noi to Ninh Binh province. You can go to Giap Bat bus station and find many bus companies with route to Ninh Binh.
But, they will not drop you off in Tam Coc directly but stop at Ninh Binh bus station. From there you should take a cab to go to Tam Coc with the cost is not much expensive than motorbike. This way is not highly recommended for you because it’s complicated or you may receive poor service from public transportation.
- You may read more this post to get more useful about Bus from Hanoi to Ninh Binh
Everyday there are some train from Ha Noi to Ninh Binh station. The earliest one usually starts at 6:00 am. One day in advance you should buy your train ticket at Ha Noi station
- Tam Coc Boat Tour – Let’s Ride Your Trip to Ninh Binh Now
- Is Tam Coc Ninh Binh Easy To Travel by your own?
>>> Deluxe Hoa Lu Tam Coc Mua Cave Tour is a tremendous chance to explore the ancient beauty of Hoa Lu Ancient Capital and stunning scenery in Tam Coc, Hiking to peak of Mua Cave <<<
From Ha Long city – 5 Hours
If you are looking a answer for question : How to get from Halong Bay to Ninh Binh. It’s to easy. After finishing your trip in Ha Long bay or Bai Tu Long bay with cruises you want to go ahead to Ninh Binh. Hiring a private car from Halong to Ninh Binh if your group is big is a good choice with reasonable price. The cost roundly 120USD/Car/Way
- Another way is sharing minivan with other people. You can buy your tickets or book your private car with some Travel Agency or hotels. Or you can book Shutle Bus from Halong to Ninh Binh. This is tourist bus, not local bus, so you no worry about quality of bus. It runs from Halong at 12.00am from Halong City and from Tuan Chau Harbor. The cost roundy from 12USD/Pax/Way. It’s reasonable price for traveler who travel alone or a coupble. If you don’t know how to contact to them, you can drop your comment or send us an email or what’s : +84 915 815 535. We make sure will help you to get best deal for you.
- Another way is Local bus From Halong City to Ninh Binh Province. You can by the ticket at Halong bus station. They have 2 times : 06.00am and 12.00am. The cost from 120.000VND. But this will take longer time than Toursit Bus, because they stop many time to get more customer. When you are in Ninh Binh, take a taxi to Tam Coc wharf directly. It takes about 20 minutes from center to Tam Coc
Here is a list of Hanoi Travel Agency which you can come to check and get a bus ticket to Ninh Binh from Hanoi: https://hanoiexploretravel.com/travel-blog/hanoi-travel-agency
Travel guideline in Tam Coc Ninh Binh
Since the distance between Hanoi and Ninh Binh is quite short, it is easy to take Tam Coc day trip. However, if you want to stay overnight in Tam Coc there are also many hotels or homestays for you to choose.
Here are some clean and comfort hotels, homestays with many good reviews: Queen hotel, Chez Loan hotel, Ngoc Anh hotel, Tam Coc rice fields resort, Tam Coc garden homestay, the Reed hotel, the Vancouver hotel…
You can book it online on Agoda, Booking, Expedia.. It will help you get best accommodation in Tam Coc and it’s a easy way then you arrive Tam Coc and looking by yourself
Besides, when visiting Tam Coc, you can visit other nearby attractions such as:
- Bich Dong Pagoda: Known as “ The second most beautiful cave”, Bich Dong Pagoda is the second beautiful cave of the Southern area after Huong Tich cave in Ha Tay.
- Mua Cave – Hang Mua ViewPoint: Far from Tam Coc about 3 kilometers, you only walk out 486 rocky steps to reach the top and enjoy the whole beauty of Tam Coc with rice paddy fields or Ninh Binh Province. The entrance ticket is 100.000 VND/person and the transfer time is at least 2 hours.
- Thung Nam Bird Garden: is also a great attraction of Ninh Binh. Thung Nham has been extensively exploited for tourism purposes because of its diversified landscapes including accomodation , restaurants, recreation and teambuilding areas.
- Viet Co Village: Also called Co Vien Lau, this place will bring tourists the tranquil and peaceful atmosphere of Vietnam in the 18th and 20th century.
- Thai Vi Temple: Located in Van Lam hamlet, Ninh Hai commune, Hoa Lu district, Ninh Binh province, Thai Vi Temple belongs to Tam Coc – Bich Dong complex, which is famous for its unique architectural features and quiet romantic scenery. It is home to worship Kings of the Tran Dynasty, namely King Tran Thai Tong, King Tran Nhan Tong, King Tran Thanh Tong, King Tran Anh Tong along with Generals such as Tran Quang Khai, Tran Hung Dao and Queen Thuan Thien. Visiting Thai Vi temple, visitors will have a great opportunity to recall the heroic historical landmarks of the Tran feudal dynasty and admire the architecture, folklore and special arts of Thai Vi temple.
- Van Lam Embroidery Village: Van Lam Embroidery Village Ninh Binh is located next to the center of Tam Coc- Bich Dong tourist area . It is known as an embroidery village (Ninh Hai – Hoa Lu) .People from all over the world visit here for its rich historical and cultural values and traditional embroidery.
- This embroidery is believed to have existed for about 800 years since the Tran Dynasty. This legend relates why this embroidery village was founded , Mrs . Tran Thi Dung -the wife of mandarin Tran Thu Do came to this village with other Tran family royalty and taught local people how to weave and embroider .It is not surprising when the Van Lam village has become a famous tourist attraction in Ninh Binh.
What To Eat
On the way to visit Tam Coc, you certainly don’t want to miss a chance for trying some specialties Ninh Binh. Here are two main products you should try:
- Meat goat: This dish is extremely nutritious and delicious because the goats live on the mountainside. They usually eat the leaves growing on the mountain.
- Crispy rice: Special flavor
- Ninh Binh Snails: Snails are in all regions of Ninh Binh but concentrate most in limestone areas like Tam Diep, Yen Mo and Nho Quan, Hoa Lu. The meat is tough, brittle and flavored. Snails can be made into various dishes, namely roasted snails, fried snails and boiled snails.
A Tip for Tam Coc Tour Itinerary
Take a boat ride is the only way for you to explore Tam Coc. Whilst visiting Tam Coc, you should discuss with the local boatman, if you want to stop somewhere for taking photos, find out some panoramic views or climb Bich Dong pagoda…
With a lot of experiences boat riders know where to stop and find best places for you to climb the cliffs. Mostly local people know how to speak English otherwise you should company with a local guide.
In the summer, Tam Coc often suffers from heavy rain so start early when visiting Tam Coc. Therefore, when you come to Tam Coc, the weather is still sunny and cool and you can avoid heavy rain in the afternoon.
>>> DELUXE & SMALL GROUP Hoa Lu Tam Coc Mua Cave Tour is a tremendous chance to explore the ancient beauty of Hoa Lu Ancient Capital and stunning scenery in Tam Coc, Hiking to peak of Mua Cave
The provided information above is enough for you to prepare for a trip to Tam Coc Ninh Binh. If you need any further support, feel free to contact us. We are always be here to assist your special vacation in Viet Nam as well as in Tam Coc Ninh Binh!
>>> GET FREE ITINERARY PLANNING FOR TAM COC TRIP <<<