A day trip from Hanoi to Halong Bay is a great idea that you should not miss if you come to Hanoi for a few days. Only about 150 km from Hanoi center, it only takes about 2-3 hours to go from Hanoi to Halong Bay.
Until now, Ha Long Bay is one of the most attractive destinations and is the first choice among various tourist destinations stretching from North to South of Vietnam.
Halong Bay is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world and is considered a must-visit destination for foreign tourists visiting Vietnam. It consists of nearly 2000 islands and islets as well as magnificent cave systems. Therefore, tourists can relax and immerse themselves in the picturesque scenery and breathtaking beauty of the mountains and the sea.
Perhaps you will find it difficult to travel to Halong Bay in just one day because there are so many interesting things to explore. However, you can definitely have a great day trip from Hanoi to Ha Long with the tips and itineraries below.
Let’s explore Ha Long Bay in a day with Hanoi Explore Travel
Table of Contents
- 1 Overview Halong Bay Day Trip from Hanoi
- 2 Halong Bay Day Trips – Is worth being visited?
- 3 Right time to visit Halong Bay
- 4 Favorite places for day trips in Ha Long Bay from Hanoi
- 4.1 Kayaking in Ba Hang fishing village
- 4.2 Visiting Floating Village
- 4.3 Observing the beautiful islet in Ha Long Bay
- 4.4 Taking photos
- 4.5 Exploring the famous cave – Thien Cung Cave
- 4.6 Swimming in Monkey Island
- 4.7 Visiting Pearl Farm
- 4.8 Trying Unique experiences of Halong Bay from Above
- 4.9 Visiting Titop Island
- 4.10 Ha Long tourism suggests some sightseeing tours by boat
- 5 Quick Tips for Halong Bay 1 Day Trips
Overview Halong Bay Day Trip from Hanoi
Halong Bay is listed as one of the most prestigious tourist destinations in Vietnam with spectacular scenery and limestone. Nearly 2000 islands and islets, as well as mysterious cave systems, make it a natural wonder of the world.
In fact, yachts on Ha Long Bay will include other beautiful bays such as Bai Tu Long Bay, Lan Ha Bay, Cat Ba Bay and Ha Long Bay. Nowadays, as a tourist hotspot, Halong Bay welcomes more than 6 million tourists each year.
Taking a day trip of Ha Long Bay, tourists can not only visit Ha Long Bay but also explore other destinations such as Bai Tu Long Bay, Lan Ha Bay and Cat Ba, which are equally attractive. Besides sightseeing, visitors can also participate in active outdoor activities, including hiking, rock climbing, kayaking or even yoga sessions on the beach.
>>> CONTACT US for this exciting Best Halong Bay Day Trip! <<<
Halong Bay Day Trips – Is worth being visited?
Many people ask us is they should travel to Ha Long Bay in a day?
Halong Bay has a spectacular view and exploring it within a day seems impossible. But if you lack the time and budget, you can still visit Ha Long Bay for a day. There are many travel companies in Hanoi offering day trips at very low prices, especially when compared to the price of a 1-night cruise or a 2-night cruise in Halong Bay.
Halong Bay is 160 km from Hanoi. It used to take people about 4- 5 hours to take a ride from Hanoi to Halong Bay. However, thanks to the new motorway and limousine transfer, it now takes only 2 -3 hours to reach Ha Long Bay, which means we have more time to explore the beauty of the bay. There are also some other reasons to choose a short trip to Halong Bay. For example, you are seasick but still want to witness the beauty of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, or You have children and you are afraid that they can be bored when staying for too long on a train.
If you choose a 1-day schedule, you will be picked up at around 8 a.m. from your hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter or other designated rendezvous, sitting in an about 3-hour drive to Ha Long – with comfortable 30-minute stop time. Lunch will be served on the boat while you take a boat on the island and islet. You can enjoy activities such as kayaking or cave tours, swimming – in the afternoon. You will leave Halong Bay at around 5 p.m. and return to Hanoi at around 9 p.m.
Pick up 1 suitable itinerary of Best Halong Bay Day Tours for you:
Right time to visit Halong Bay
- As with other tourist destinations, the summer in Ha Long Bay will have ideal weather. The weather from April to August here is quite beautiful and as cool as a cucumber. It’s sunny from early morning until the end of the day with a very little rainy day.
- Autumn in Ha Long Bay is also pleasant. The weather from September to November is mostly sunny and not very cold, so you can swim. There are also fewer storms at this time. If you travel to Ha Long in June-July, there are usually storms hitting the North. It rains a lot, so the landscape on the bay will be gloomier, even be banned from the sea for tourist ships to take guests to the bay and stay overnight in the bay.
Favorite places for day trips in Ha Long Bay from Hanoi
Although one day is a short time to explore such a wonderful natural wonder, you can still fully enjoy the best day in Ha Long with a variety of different activities and sightseeing places in the bay. However, for your limited time, you should choose some of the following activities instead of participating in all.
List of interesting activities you can participate in:
Kayaking in Ba Hang fishing village
You can kayak or simply sit on a bamboo boat paddled by the locals in a Ba Hang village to explore this beautiful village. Fishermen there, struggling with ups and downs, with tidal waves and even big storms, still keep their optimism.
Visiting Floating Village
- There are four remaining fishing villages: Cua Van, Vung Vieng, Dam Cong and Ba Hang. Although people do not live there all the time, the locals still carry out a lot of activities and work duties such as fishing, weaving and making pearls.
- Coming to these villages, you can learn more about the culture and typical lifestyle of Vietnamese fishermen. For those who wish to enjoy the tranquil and peaceful atmosphere of Ha Long, Ba Hang fishing village is definitely your ideal choice. This idyllic village is home to many households with traditional careers passed down from generation to generation.
Observing the beautiful islet in Ha Long Bay
- In Halong Bay, tourists can have a great opportunity to enjoy the breathtaking views of this bay. Ha Long is noted for thousands of limestone formations and green beaches. There, tourists can visit the unique and exotic islets in Ha Long Bay, which is famous for its special shapes and colors. If you’re lucky, you might hear an interesting legend about the origins of these small islands.
- If you are a photography enthusiast, a camera is an indispensable item. Don’t let yourself regret not taking the camera away because it has such a beautiful view there. Ha Long is always the place that gives visitors the opportunity to “give birth” to many impressive sets of photos.
- Some famous photo spots such as Fishing Village on the Bay, Photographing Ha Long Bay from Seaplane, Stunning caves in Halong Bay.
Exploring the famous cave – Thien Cung Cave
- Thien Cung Cave, also known as Heaven Cave, is one of the must-visit destinations in the trip to Halong Bay. Thien Cung is proud of diverse stalactites and stalagmites with many strange shapes. The name of this cave is derived from the unique stalactites inside the cave such as dragons, phoenixes and the four pillars, which remind us of the wonderful heaven.
Swimming in Monkey Island
- Monkey Island is located right near Ha Long Bay, so it can be an ideal choice for you to go swimming. On this island, tourists can swim on the surface of transparent emerald water with great wallpaper.
- Moreover, you can also take memorable photos with breathtaking scenery and lovely monkeys on this romantic island, or just lie on the beach and enjoy the fresh air.
>>> Read More: Swimming in Halong Bay: Best Tips for Swimming in Halong Bay
Visiting Pearl Farm
- This place is the most famous pearl farming village in HaLong Bay and also a tourist attraction where you can visit and learn the whole process of harvesting and producing pearl products. The craft village is located in a lagoon, surrounded by undulating limestone islands. Visiting the pearl craft village is a very special experience which you should to try.
Trying Unique experiences of Halong Bay from Above
- Nowaday, tourists have had an additional fascinating experience of Halong Bay – sightseeing over the dazzling natural attraction from seaplane.
- Seeing Halong Bay from a seaplane is one of the best things to do in Halong Bay. It brings amazing and unusual experiences in Vietnam. It allows you to soar through the sky above clear waters, green rainforests of UNESCO-listed landscape and emerging limestone islands.
- Depending on the duration of the thrilling but comfortable ride you choose for seeing Halong Bay from a seaplane, you can get different unique experiences.
- This activity is really ideal for those people who are seeking thrilling trips to Halong Bay.
Visiting Titop Island
- Ti Top Island is favored with the enchanting scenery and pleasant weather. These elements make Ti Top Beach a not-to-be-missed destination for tourists in the journey of exploring Halong Bay, especially those who love nature in Vietnam.
- TiTop Island where you can do Swimming or Climbing up to the top of the island where there is a best place to overview the beauty of Ha Long bay. With a beneficial reason: for many this is one of the highlights of their Halong Bay experience. Even more, after climbing, you can reward yourself with a cool, refreshing dip in the waters of Halong Bay.
- Otherewise the beach on the island is one of the most organised in all of Halong Bay for tourists, with deck chairs, cool drinks, souvenirs, and fresh water showers available. You can swim or sunbathe, or spend some time relaxing in deck chair, sipping on a coconut and people watching. “
Ha Long tourism suggests some sightseeing tours by boat
To visit Ha Long Bay, you can choose one of the following routes- the longer, the more expensive.
- Route 1 (4 hours): Tourist Port – Thien Cung – Dau Go – Dinh Huong – Ga Choi – Ba Hang.
- Route 2: (6 hours): Tourist ship port – Dinh Huong – Ga Choi – Sung Sot – Ti Top.
- Route 3 (8 hours): Tourist Port – Thien Cung – Dau Go – Sung Sot – Ti Top – Hang Luon.
- Route 4 (8 hours): Tourist Port – Sung Sot – Ti Top – Cua Van Fishing Village – Ba Trai Dao.
- Route 5 (10 hours): Tourist ship port – Sung Sot – Ti Top – Bai Tu Long Bay.
So will you go on a date with Halong Bay? Explore more now!
- Superior Halong Bay Day Tour 6 Hour Cruise
- Deluxe Halong Bay Day Trip 6 Hour Cruise
- Halong Bay Cruise – 8 Hours Cruising
See More :
Quick Tips for Halong Bay 1 Day Trips
- The best time to go for a trip to Ha Long Bay is when the weather is dry, not too hot and especially without rain or storm. Spring and summer are the best times to visit Ha Long Bay.
- You may find it difficult to arrange a trip from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay by yourself. Booking a Halong Bay tour for a day is a reasonable choice. You just need to enjoy the journey and can save your time and money.
- Choose the right travel agency: You may be a foreign tourist with well-prepared plans, but a wrong decision with the wrong travel agency can ruin an entire trip. For the best day trip, my advice is to go with a travel agency from Hanoi, which picks up and drops off tourists at their hotel. You should search the internet for professional tour operators and read reviews from other customers. You can email them before departure to ask for necessary information such as tour prices, itineraries, etc.
- If you chose Halong Bay for a day (1-day trip), choose a 6-hour (even 8-hour) itinerary on the bay instead of 4 hours when many old yachts are running. You will have more time to enjoy the wonderful scenery!
- What should you wear during the Ha Long day trip? Clothing: You will need at least 3 sets of clothes: for regular day wear, evening wear and swimming wear if you plan on doing so. If you travel between May and October, you can bring shorts and skirts and a short-sleeved shirt. For the rest of the year, bring additional sweaters and coats because Ha Long Bay can be quite cold.
How to book a Halong Day Trip from from Hanoi?
- Booking a Day Trip through online booking websites
You should read information in forums like TripAdvisor and Lonely Planet . You can read from others about the experience and know a list of reputable company names from these forum pages
On these forum pages , you can find the schedule yourself. Some customers may even bookmark or mention the websites of reputable travel companies they have experienced.
- Booking Halong Bay through Travel Agencies
It will definitely be easier if you search for a reputable travel agent in Hanoi through the Google. Then you can go directly to their office in Hanoi for direct advice. Therefore, you will always receive the most useful information and the best prices.
- Buy tickets directly through cruise operators
In case you have chosen your favorite cruise before coming to Halong Bay, you can easily buy tickets directly through the cruise operator. Remember to bargain for the affordable price and check what has included in the ticket as well as the itinerary before paying. However, you have chosen a few alternative cruises because in case all tickets of the most favorite cruise are sold out, you can immediately buy another one.