Luon Cave Halong Bay – A Heaven Gate in Halong Bay
In recent years, Luon Cave has been named among the most amazing tourist attractions in Halong Bay. Those who enjoy kayaking will find this to be the perfect destination because of the poetry landscape of the majestic mountains and their combination of water, clouds, and cliffs.
More for you:
- Sung Sot Cave Halong Bay – All You Should Know about Surprise Cave
- Halong Bay Caves – 10 Must-Visit Caves in Halong Bay
- Top-Rated Things to Do in Halong Bay – Activities, Map, Route, Tips
Luon Cave Overview
Let’s take a look at some interesting features of this cave!
- Luon Cave is a wet cave with an underground water source that flows in the mountain and connects to the sea by a tunnel.
- The cave entrance is about 4 meters wide, 3 meters high, 100 meters long.
- Luon Cave has a length of 60 meters, a height of about 2.5 meters – 4 meters.
- The only way to visit Luon Cave is by small boats or kayaks.
- If you visit the cave at high tide, you must stoop to pass through it.
- Luon Cave is situated in the northeast of Bo Hon island, about 14 km south of Bai Chay beach, close to Sung Sot Cave (Surprise Cave), and Con Rua Island (Turtle Island).
- Luon Cave is 4 meters wide and 60 meters long. Depending on the water level, the cave ceiling might be anywhere between 2.5 and 4 meters high. Luon Cave is a wet cave, so it can only be reached by small boat or kayak.
History of Luon Cave
- Despite not being as vast as some of the other caves in Halong Bay, Luon Cave has been formed over millions of years with the impact of water and sea breeze. The foothills of the limestone mountains were progressively eroded by the current and the tides, leaving a sizable natural tunnel that we can see as Luon Cave nowadays.
- On the cliffs of Luon Cave, we can still make out remnants of the ocean. There was life here millions of years ago, as evidenced by the fossilized shells of oysters, snails, and crabs. Before emerging from the water, Luon Cave was an underwater cave when the sea level was greater than it is now.
How to get to Luon Cave Halong Bay
Finding a boat to Luon Cave is not difficult because it is situated on a well-known island in Halong Bay. Visitors can either rent a boat for a private trip or take a cruise boat that includes a stop to Luon Cave from Bai Chay Port or Cai Lan Port.
You don’t have to worry about transportation to get there because there are constantly boats going to Luon Cave. Let’s consider the following options to choose the best one:
- Option 1: From Ha Long city center, it takes about 10 minutes along National Highway 18 to Bai Chay port, then take a boat or rent a boat to Luon Cave.
NOTE: Travel time by boat in Halong Bay is between 6 and 8 hours, and sightseeing is allowed from 6.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Therefore, you should be mindful of the time you rent a boat in order to visit and return to the mainland in time. Or you can Book A Best Halong Bay Day Trip from Hanoi Included Luon Cave:
- Duration: 1 Day
- Hot Deal: 56 USD
- Tour Type: Deluxe Cruise & Small Group
- Transportation: Limousine Bus
- Duration: 1 Day
- Hot Deal: 89USD
- Tour Type: Luxury Cruise
- Transportation: On Request
- Option 2: You can choose to take a tour or reserve a cruise ship with a pre-scheduled itinerary if you don’t want to plan ahead, take the time to consult, and make reservations. Travel agencies offer Ha Long tours and sightseeing tours that include a stop at Luon Cave. All you need to do is reserve a tour, and the tour operator will take care of the rest.
The following is a list of Halong Bay overnight cruises that visit Luon Cave for your reference (prices below may vary by season):
>>> Let’s visit our website for different types of cruises available for every budget, from backpackers to luxury. Check out for the best deals on Halong Bay’s overnight cruise.
Best time to visit Luon Cave
- The best times to visit Luon Cave are from February to June and from September to October. At this time, the weather in Halong Bay is quite nice, making your trip more convenient.
- If you want to swim, starting your journey on a sunny day with a temperature above 30 degrees Celsius is recommended.
What makes Luon Cave unique to other caves?
- Many visitors liken Luon Cave to a gate leading to a wonderland of water and limestone mountains in Halong Bay. Passing into Luon Cave, you can leave all tiredness outside and find your soul to blend with nature.
- Luon Cave resembles a tunnel that is 100 meters long, 4 meters wide, and 3 meters high. Although Luon cave is not as large as other Halong Bay caves, it is a unique cave that hides mysteries. As the cave is situated at the base of a limestone mountain, visitors must take a boat through the mountain’s base to reach the other side of the island. “Luon Cave” is given as the name of the cave because “Luon” means the action of going under something.
- Luon Cave has an arch-shaped entrance that leads to a tranquil lake that is around 1 km square. Since this lake is surrounded by high mountains, it is shielded from the ocean’s winds and waves, resulting in relatively calm water. This lake is like a jade carefully preserved by the mountains of Bo Hon island.
- Limestone mountains surround the lake and are covered in older trees, lush vegetation, and vibrant orchids. The mountains in the area are reflected on Luon Cave’s tranquil surface, which acts as a mirror. Visitors can observe the blue sky with white clouds, the shade of the jagged cliffs, and the green patches of trees as they look down at the sea. All in perfect harmony with nature, Luon Cave paints a vivid and alluring picture in the minds of visitors.
- In addition to Luon Cave, Bo Hon island area has many other beautiful attractions waiting for you to discover. Bo Hon Island is considered a significant destination in Halong Bay that every visitor should visit.
- This island is a paradise of caves, with many large and small caves. Sung Sot Cave (Surprise Cave) is one of the 7 most beautiful caves in Vietnam, regarded as a must-see on Bo Hon Island. The cave features a limestone cave with the light and color more impressive than any fairy tale movie. Like its name (which means “Surprise”), Sung Sot cave will bring interesting things to every visitor when entering this cave.
- In addition, you can take a visit to Trong Cave, Trinh Nu Cave and Dong Tien Cave, which are all attractive and beautiful caves on Bo Hon Island.
>>> Haven’t decided yet? GET FREE CUSTOMIZED ITINERARY <<<
Things to do in Luon Cave
The 60-meter-long cave ranges in height from 2.5 to 4 meters, depending on the tidal wave height. The cave draws a lot of visitors due to its magnificent stalagmite structure, towering cliffs, and mirror-like calm, blue lake surface all year around.
Kayaking through Luon Cave
- Don’t miss the opportunity to go kayaking if you enjoy new experiences, want to be close to the ocean and nature, or like to see the stalactites and stalagmites under the Luon Cave ceiling.
Taking a bamboo boat to explore Luon Cave
- For a large group, it would be appropriate to get a bamboo boat to explore Luon Cave’s beauty. A local boatman will take you to explore the cave and may tell you a lot of interesting stories. If you go in a large group or rent 2-3 boats at the same time, let’s negotiate a lower price!
Watching the golden monkey
- Watching funny golden monkeys is one of the intriguing experiences that draws a lot of tourists, including both kids and adults. When visiting Luon Cave, you may easily touch and interact with the approximately 50 golden monkeys that are climbing the cliffs around the cave
Tips when visiting Luon Cave Halong Bay
- Prepare light clothing, sneakers, sandals, swimsuits, or water-resistant apparel for ease of movement.
- Bring sufficient sun protection, such as sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat, or sun protective clothing, as most activities are outdoors.
- Negotiate the price of ships and boats before embarking on a tour or an excursion
- You should consult and reserve a hotel room in advance.
That is all there is to know about visiting Luon Cave. If you plan to visit this attraction, please let us know; we’d be willing to assist you!