Vietnam Itinerary 9 Days: Guide to optimize your plan and your money
A 9-day itinerary in Vietnam begins in Hanoi, a 1000-year-old city rich in culture and historical significance. After that, you’ll head to Halong Bay for a cruise and spend the night there. The following destination is Hoi An, a picturesque ancient town that never fails to entice tourists.
The last few days of your journey will be spent in Southern Vietnam, where you’ll visit the bustling city of Saigon and the Mekong Delta.
For travelers who are visiting Vietnam for the first time, 9 days is sufficient to visit the whole of the country and explore deeper into many famous attractions of each region.
How should you spend 9 days in Vietnam? Do you need another itinerary or recommendation? Please let us know whether you prefer to customize your trip to Vietnam or take one of the many trips we provide.
This is more for you:
- Hanoi for 4 Days
- Hanoi Itinerary 5 DAYS
- How to Spend 6 Days in Hanoi
- What to do for 7 Days in Hanoi
- Vietnam Itinerary 8 Days
North to South Vietnam tour itineraries in 9 days
- Day 1: Hanoi arrival
- Day 2: Hanoi – Halong (Overnight cruise)
- Day 3: Halong – Ninh Binh
- Day 4: Ninh Binh – Hanoi
- Day 5: Hanoi – Da Nang – Hoian (Afternoon flight)
- Day 6: Hoian
- Day 7: Hoain – Da Nang – Ho Chi Minh City (Afternoon flight)
- Day 8: HCMC – Mekong delta – HCMC
- Day 9: HCM City tour – Departure
Note: The tour can be customized with 1 day more or less, add or remove places upon travelers’ interests
ITINERARY 2: Northern Vietnam Family Tour with Teenagers in 9 Days
- Day 1: Hanoi Arrival.
- Day 2: Hanoi city tour – Train to Lao Cai
- Day 3: Sapa trekking: Cat Cat village – Sin Chai village
- Day 4: Sapa trekking: Y Linh Ho – Lao Chai – Ta Van
- Day 5: Sapa trekking: Giang Ta Chai – Bus to Hanoi
- Day 6: Hanoi – Halong Bay
- Day 7: Halong Bay – Hanoi
- Day 8: Ninh Binh: Hoa Lu – Tam Coc day trip
- Day 9: Hanoi Departure.
>>> If you’d like a FREE itinerary tailored to your needs by a knowledgeable travel advisor, don’t hesitate to contact us for 24/7 help.
- Hanoi is frequently chosen as the starting point of many Vietnam journeys because it has the largest international airport of the country. Hanoi city center may be explored in a day or a half, after which travelers can continue their journey to the following destinations:
- Halong Bay (180 kilometers from Hanoi): Halong Bay tours can be a day trip or overnight trips in 2 or 3 days.
- Ninh Binh (100 kilometers from Hanoi): Ninh Binh can be visited in 1 or 2 days. It is famous for Hoa Lu ancient town, Tam Coc – Bich Dong, Van Long lagoon and Trang An nature reserve.
- Sapa (350 kilometers from Hanoi): Visitors can travel to Sapa by night trains departing from Hanoi every evening or by car/bus.
- Mai Chau (180 km from Hanoi): Visitors can stay there for one or two days.
- The next destinations are in the Central region, which includes Hue, Da Nang, and Hoi An. Visitors can fly to Hue or Da Nang in an hour.
- Hue: The ancient capital with the famous Perfume River, the Forbidden City. Visitors can visit the city in 1 da
- Da Nang – Hoi An: Two famous cities with beaches and resorts, 2 or 3 days in this area are fine
The following part is Ho Chi Minh City and the southern region
- Ho Chi Minh City – Saigon: The largest city in Vietnam with nearby Cu Chi Tunnels and Cao Dai Holy See
- Mekong Delta: River delta, floating market…
9 Days Explore North & Central Of Vietnam Itinerary
- Day 1- Arrive Hanoi
- Day 2- Hanoi Tours
- Day 3- Hanoi – Halong Bay overnight on cruise
- Day 4- Return from Halong – Hanoi; Night train to Hue
- Day 5- Arrival in Hue & Free – easy
- Day 6- Hue City Tour – Transfer to Hoi An
- Day 7- Hoi An walking tour half day
- Day 8- Marble mountain – My Son sanctuary – Boat trip on Thu Bon river.
- Day 9- Depart from Da Nang
Why is the 9-day itinerary a right choice for you?
- With this itinerary, you will have the chance to have a trip that offers both unforgettable experiences and truly relaxing moments amidst the grandeur of nature. It’s time to explore the distinctive beauties of Northern, Central, and Southern Vietnam!
- Coming to Hoi An, the one in ten romantic paradise with timeless beauty that gives couples a sense of tranquility.
- You’ll have a fantastic opportunity to fulfill your desire to explore three major Vietnamese cities! Hanoi has the timeless beauty of a thousand-year-old city. Then, you will be enchanted by poetic landscapes of the ancient capital in Hue. The most livable city in Vietnam, Da Nang, is where you can unwind with friends and family while taking in the tranquil sea.
- After engaging excursions with a knowledgeable guide, you are free to explore Vietnam at your own leisure and enjoy some privacy.
>> Follow our itinerary or get your own FREE one here <<<
Hotline/What’s App: + 84 974 805 797
South to North Vietnam tour itinerary in 9 days
- Day 1: Ho Chi Minh City arrival
- Day 2: Ho Chi Minh City tour – Cu Chi Tunnels
- Day 3: HCMC – Flight to Da Nang – Hoian
- Day 4: Hoi An
- Day 5: Hoian – Da Nang – Flight to Hanoi
- Day 6: Hanoi – Halong (Overnight on boat)
- Day 7: Halong – Ninh Binh
- Day 8: Ninh Binh – Hanoi
- Day 9: Hanoi city tour – Departure
- Day 1: Ho Chi Minh City arrival
- Day 2: HCM City tour – Cu Chi Tunnel
- Day 3: HCMC – Mekong delta – HCMC
- Day 4: HCMC – Hanoi (Flight)
- Day 5: Hanoi – Mai Chau
- Day 6: Mai Chau – Hanoi
- Day 7: Hanoi – Halong
- Day 8: Halong – Hanoi
- Day 9: Hanoi – Departure
Why it is right for you?
- If you’re planning a trip to visit Vietnam’s three regions and are overwhelmed by the variety of tours online. This suggested tour itinerary may be just what you’re looking for.
- Convenient travel, time and energy savings, with the majority of your vacation being spent in experiencing and exploring new things!
- Your trip is a perfect combination of a leisurely cruise excursion, a visit to the beautiful town of Hoi An, and a stop in several large, modern cities in Vietnam, where you can experience high-class services with accommodations, transportation, and shopping.
> >> GET YOUR FREE ITINERARY <<<
Day 1: Hanoi Arrival and Street Food Tour
Start your 9-day trip in Vietnam right away! Your private driver will pick you up at the Hanoi airport and drive you to your accommodation. Join a unique street food tour in Hanoi after some refreshments in the hotel lobby.
The tour starts with a trip to one of the city’s local markets to observe all the different foods used for Vietnamese breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as to gain a better understanding of the local’s lives. You are free to unwind for the rest of the day.
>>> BOOK NOW: HANOI STREET FOOD TOUR
Day 2: Hanoi City Tour
You have the entire day after breakfast to discover the lovely Vietnamese capital. Visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, his stilt house, the One-Pillar Pagoda, and the Tran Quoc Pagoda. Pay a visit to the Museum of Ethnology to round up the morning. In the afternoon, visit the Temple of Literature, Ngoc Son Temple by Hoan Kiem Lake.
Don’t forget to take an hour-long cyclo tour around Hanoi’s Old Quarter, which brings so much fun. In the evening, watch a traditional water puppet show.
- You will visit several tourist attractions in Hanoi, including:
- Museum of Ethnology: In-depth study of 54 ethnic groups in Vietnam
- Ho Chi Minh complex includes Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Presidential Palace, Stilt House and One-pillar pagoda
- Temple of Literature: Vietnam’s first national university
- The oldest bridge in Hanoi: Long Bien Bridge
- Watch Vietnam’s traditional art form: water puppetry
>>> EXPLORE MORE: HANOI CITY TOUR
Day 3: Halong Bay Cruise
Departs at 8 a.m for a 3.5 – hour trip through the Red River Delta, giving you the opportunity to capture a variety of images of Vietnamese farmers working across vast lush rice fields. Arrive in Halong City, board the cruise, and complete the check-in procedure before enjoying the journey in Halong Bay.
Have a delicious lunch of fresh seafood as the cruise sails out to the beautiful bay. Spend the afternoon relaxing on board or taking part in some activities at the bay. Dinner is served on board.
- Halong Bay Cruising
- Explore Vung Vieng By Kayak Or Bamboo Rowing Boat
- Happy Hour On Signature Cruise
- Relax On Board Signature Cruise
>>> Let’s visit our website for different types of cruises available for every budget, from backpackers to luxury. Check out for the best deals on Halong Bay’s full-day cruise.
Day 4: Halong Bay to Hoi An
Get up early to do Tai Chi on the top deck or just relax and take in the sunrise. After having a light breakfast, take a rowboat to explore the nearby islands.
Return to the cruise and spend time on the sundeck to admire Bai Tu Long Bay’s incredible rock formations. Brunch is served on board while the cruise returns to the pier.
Then, the car driver will take you to the airport in Hanoi to catch your flight to Danang. As soon as you arrive at Danang airport, a shuttle will driveyou to Hoi An in 30 minutes.
Day 5: Hoi An and My Son Sanctuary
After your breakfast, continue your 9-day Vietnam itinerary with a visit to My Son Sanctuary, once served as the religious and political center of the Champa Kingdom, which ruled Southeast Asia for nearly a thousand years.
Drive back to Hoi An in the afternoon to visit the colorful riverside market, the 400-year-old Japanese Bridge, the Fujian Temple, and the homes of former traders. Enjoy your free time in the ancient town after that.
- Explore My Son Sanctuary
- Visit Hoi An Ancient Town
Day 6: Travel to Ho Chi Minh City
Spend the morning relaxing on the beach or exploring Hoi An Ancient Town. After checking out, you will be transferred to Da Nang airport to catch your flight into Ho Chi Minh City. Your car driver will pick you up when you get to Ho Chi Minh City and take you to your hotel. Spend the rest of the day for yourself.
Day 7: Cu Chi Tunnels and Ho Chi Minh City Tour
In the morning, drive out of Ho Chi Minh City to visit the incredible Cu Chi Tunnels. The Cu Chi Tunnels are a maze of underground passages, used by the VietCong during the Resistance War against the American.
Return to the city in the afternoon to see the Central Post Office and Notre Dame Cathedral, two outstanding examples of classical French colonial architecture. You’ll then visit the bustling Ben Thanh Market and the War Remnants Museum to round out the day.
- Cu Chi Tunnels
- Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica Of Saigon
- Saigon Central Post Office
- War Remnants Museum
- Ben Thanh Market
Day 8: Mekong Delta River Cruise
Visit the Mekong Delta for a day trip and take a boat ride. Stop along the way at some craft villages to see how rice paper is made, continue your trip through the coconut forest and visit a local coconut factory to learn how to make coconut candy and coconut souvenirs.
Hop on a tuk-tuk or cycle 3 kilometers along the shady narrow village roads to visit an orchard and enjoy a delicious local lunch in an old house.
- Ben Tre Boat Ride
- Motorised Rickshaw To A Fruit Farm
Day 9: Cai Rang Floating Market and Ho Chi Minh City Departure
This is the last day of your 9-day Vietnam itinerary. You will start your boat trip in the morning to view Cai Rang floating market, one of the highlights of any journey to Vietnam.
You may take in the beautiful scenery and observe the daily activities of the locals living along the Mekong’s canals. Then, continue the trip with a visit to the tropical fruit garden.
Have lunch on the way back to HCMC Airport to catch your flight home.
Say goodbye and see you again!
- Visit Cai Rang Floating Market
- Explore Ba Cong Fruit Orchar